Monday, May 16, 2005

Myths and legends and fairy tales

When I was much younger (propably since primary school days), I started to really enjoy reading fairy tales, myths and legends. And everytime there's a long school holidays, I would not fail to go to the old Jurong East Library to borrow books on such genre.

I really enjoy those stories. Stories of witches, faries, goblins, orges, giants, dwarves, harpies, nine-headed serpents and of gods and demons. And also stories on the foolishness or wisdom of men when dealing with those deities. I'm simply captived by the world of mythical creatures and extraordinary tales.

And out of all these, I simply love Greek myths the most. Stories of the Gods of Olympia, of how they overpower the Titans, of the jealousy and wrath of Queen Hera, and how all the gods and goddess interfered with the lives of ordinary men and women. There are also stories of the half-God half-man Hercules, of how he started to kill serpents even when he was just a baby, and how he battle with the mythical creatures of the old. And also stories of ordinary men like Jason(and the Golden Fleece) and many others in a world where supernatural and magical powers decided the fate of mankind.

But after a while... I guessed I started to grow out of my world of supernatural stuffs. Stories like finding gold coins in a fish belly is really out-of-the world. But then God amazed me again when I read Matthew 17:27 when Jesus said to Peter, "go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours."

Ha... Isn't God such an amazing and humorous God? Finding gold coin in a fish belly... HA!HA!HA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home